Immigration Housing Condition Reports




If a person from a country outside of the EEC wishes the come to the UK to live (UK Settlement, Spouse, Marriage, Fiancée and Partner Visa Application), prior to allowing entry the UK Visa & Immigration (UKVI) require written confirmation which determines whether the intended accommodation is of a suitable standard, safe from serious health and safety hazards and that will not be become statutorily overcrowded by any additional person(s) proposing to live there.

In accordance with the Guidance Documents issued by the UK Visa & Immigration (UKVI) Department states; “an independent property assessment report must be obtained from an independent assessment from a suitably qualified person/body certifying that an inspection has been carried out and giving details of the accommodation detailing the number of rooms and the occupants of the proposed accommodation. Also it shod state that the accommodation will not become overcrowded within the definition of the Housing Act 1985 and it’s free of any hazards under the Housing Act 2004.

Therefore under current Immigration Rules the UKVI Entry Clearance Officer has to be satisfied that a property inspection report has been obtained from an independent and suitably qualified professional to confirm the intended accommodation:

  • Is not statutorily overcrowded under Part X of the Housing Act 1985 and has sufficient space to accommodate both the current occupiers and any additional people who propose to live there, and
  • It has been inspected and risked assessed for Category 1 and 2 Hazards to ensure that the accommodation complies with the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) under the provisions of Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004 (i.e. it will not contravene public health regulations).

Environmental Health Services Ltd can undertake a property assessment and issue you with a written Housing, Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS) Report which will be fully compliant to all UK Visa and Immigration requirements and which would detail the presence/absence of Category 1 or 2 hazards and whether the property would/would not be statutory overcrowded if the person entering the UK occupies the dwelling.

Our surveyor is qualified with a BSc (Hons) Environmental Health, and holds the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) qualification. He is also a full voting member of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH).

The cost for this service is £155.00, and for this fee we aim to provide you with your Immigration Report within 48 hours from the day that the survey is carried out. The report will post it first class “Royal Mail Signed For” which will require your signature when being delivered. We are available inside and outside of office hours to complete the survey, including evenings and weekends to minimise any possible inconvenience for you. We can usually agree date for the assessment within 48 to 72 hours of the enquiry.
Room sizes and property condition

The bedroom sizes are a very important part of the UK Entry Clearance process. You must make sure that you follow the guidance below to aid a successful application. Please check the bedroom sizes before submitting the application as refunds are not provided if the property does not meet the statutory requirements.

The room sizes and standards are as follows:

Space Standard

Square Meters

Square feet

Permitted Number of People

10.23 or more



8.37 to 10.22

90 to 109


6.51 to 8.36

70 to 89


4.65 to 650

50 to 69


Less than 4.65



A 0.5 person is classed as a child under 10 years of age.  Above 10 years old, the child becomes 1 person in the calculation.
  • Babies can share with their parents if under 1 year old
  • Children of opposite gender can only share a bedroom if under 10 years old
  • Children cannot share a bedroom with an adult apart from their Biological parents
  • Siblings aged over 10 years old cannot share a bedroom with another of the opposite gender who is under 10 years old

Room Standard

Number of Rooms

Number of People/persons









5 or more

2 for each room

The following information will be required to support the inspection:

  • Full name, gender, date of birth, nationality, address (where they currently reside abroad) and passport number of the person seeking entry into the UK
  • Copy of proof of ownership of the property, or tenancy agreement if rented accommodation
  • Name, gender and date of birth of other occupants of the property
  • Current gas safety certificate for the gas system

When the inspections and assessment has been completed, you will be supplied with a letter, which states:

  • Your name and the name(s) of the person(s) seeking entry into the UK
  • The address of the property inspected
  • Who owns and who occupies the property
  • How the property is occupied and by whom
  • Whether the property provided a safe and healthy environment for any potential occupier or visitor at the time of inspection
  • Whether the property would be statutorily overcrowded by the additions of the person seeking entry into the UK

As an applicant, you will be responsible for ensuring the letter is received by the appropriate authority in support of the application for immigration.

Please note:

UK Border Agency will not accept Housing Report that is greater than 12 weeks old therefore it is important that you do not request an inspection of your property for immigration purposes until you are ready to submit your full application to the relevant authorities.

Useful Links

Housing Act 1895

Housing Act 2004

UK Immigration Information